The El Cerrito Community spans residences on both the North and South side of El Cajon Blvd. and is bordered by 54th and Collwood Street to the West, University Ave. to the South, College Ave. to the East, and Baja Canyon, South of Baja Drive to the North.
El Cerrito’s name translates from Spanish into “The Little Hill,” reflecting the spectacular views throughout the neighborhood. Early in its history, the El Cerrito neighborhood consisted primarily of orange and lemon orchards and 19th century suburban development. Significant development began in the early 1920’s when the old Cajon road became U.S. Highway 80 or “El Cajon Boulevard.”